Individuals who have experienced complications such as pain, obstruction of the bowels, migration, adhesion, or perforation of the tissue or organs from surgical hernia mesh devices have successfully brought lawsuits against the manufacturers of the devices claiming that the devices are defective
WHAT IS A HERNIA?
A hernia occurs when an organ, intestine or fatty tissue squeezes through a hole or a weak spot in the surrounding muscle or connective tissue. Most hernias are caused by a combination of pressure and an opening or weakness of muscle or connective tissue. The pressure pushes an organ or tissue through the opening or weak spot.
Hernia Lawsuits Overview
Associated Products: C-QUR Mesh, Physiomesh, Parietex Surgical Mesh, and others
Companies Involved: Atrium, Ethicon, Covidien, Johnson & Johnson and Others
Common Uses: To reinforce hernia or similar repairs requiring additional support.
How Many Lawsuits: 50,000+
Major Side Effects: Infection, Pain, Bowel Obstruction, Device Migration, Organ or Tissue Perforation, Adhesion
Settlement Details: $1.1 Billion
Lawsuit Locations: Northern District of Georgia, District of New Hampshire
ABOUT HERNIA MESH
COMMON HERNIA MESH RELATED INJURIES AND COMPLICATIONS
PROMINENT COMPANIES WHICH HAVE BEEN SUED FOR PRODUCTION OF DEFECTIVE HERNIA MESH
(J & J)
Atrium (Maquet, Getinge Group)
C.R. Bard (Davol)
HERNIA MESH LAWSUIT LITIGATION AND SETTLEMENT
1. Companies have already paid more than $1.1 billion in hernia mesh and other related surgical mesh insertion lawsuit settlements, with thousands of lawsuits already filed against these hernia mesh device manufacturers, there have been many prominent settlements and verdicts already.
2. The present lawsuits against manufacturers of surgical mesh have been consolidated under multidistrict litigation (MDL) procedures in the US District Court for the District of New Hampshire, the US District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, and the US District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
3. Presently, many recent hernia mesh lawsuits have been consolidated under either of the MDL dockets in relation to Ethicon Physiomesh Flexible Composite Hernia Mesh (MDL 2782) , Atrium Medical Corp, C-Qur Mesh Products (MDL 2753) , and Davol, Inc./C.R. Bard, Inc., Polypropylene Hernia Mesh (MDL 2846). As recent as February 2019, MDL 2782 has more than 1,800 pending lawsuits and MDL 2846 has 233 pending lawsuits, while MDL 2753 against Atrium Medical Corporation has above 1,000 pending lawsuits. Till this day, MDL 2753 does not have an estimated start date, though the first trial under MDL 2782 is slated for September 2019.
4. In one of the latest related cases against Ethicon, Johnson & Johnson was found liable with a $35 million verdict, including $25 million in punitive damages.
5. Notable Settlements:
1. Johnson & Johnson Settlement
Johnson & Johnson had shown intent to settle 2,790 mesh lawsuits in 2016. The allocated $120 million for these lawsuits was against surgical mesh products produced by the company’s subsidiary, Ethicon. Post such a large settlement, the company is still facing thousands of vaginal mesh and hernia mesh lawsuits.
2. C.R. Bard Settlement
In the year 2014, the said company settled 6,000 mesh lawsuits with $319 million. C.R. Bard has faced thousands of claims against many of their mesh implants for hernias and pelvic surgeries for being faulty and causing serious complications. A few years prior to settling these 6,000 claims, the company paid nearly $200 million for a few thousand other similar claims. Even with such large payouts, the manufacturer continues to face a mounting number of lawsuits.
YOU MAY RECEIVE COMPENSATION IN A LAWSUIT AGAINST THE MANUFACTURERS OF DEFECTIVE HERNIA MESH DEVICES
The amount of compensation you can receive depends on a variety of factors, such as:
A Hernia Mesh Attorney can help you understand what compensation may be available to you based on your circumstances. If you or your loved one has suffered due to defective Hernia Mesh implant and is planning of filing a law suit, consider contacting a Hernia Mesh Attorney for a FREE case evaluation.